November 2, 2012

Review: First Look at the iPad Mini


Today, Apple released its smaller version iPad called the iPad Mini at the Apple store and Best Buy locations.  I was lucky enough to play around with my coworker's new device he picked up today.  After seeing it for the first time, I was quite impressed with the new design!  It's thinner, smaller, lighter and has a beautiful glass inlay back and black bezel similar to the iPhone 5.  It also fits very nicely in your hands.  I am a bit disappointed with the guts of the device though.  Its built with an A5 processor rather than the A6 component that's used in the iPhone 5 and has no retina display.  For now, I will have to wait until the next gen iPad Mini.

Pros: Design, LTE, Size (7.2mm), Battery life, Weight (0.68 pounds).
Cons: Slower processor (A5), No Retina display (1024x768), No LTE for T-Mobile, Cost ($329)

My recommendation: If you currently own an iPad 2, then I'd say it might be worth waiting for the iPad Mini 2nd generation that may be introduced next year.  For those who are new to the iPad, it's definitely a device worth considering amongst other tablets.  Overall, it's a powerful device that can be used for many purposes from personal use to the corporate environment.  I expect iPads to be in more retail and restaurant environments as an alternative POS (point of sales) system that integrates digital receipts and a greener way of processing data.


No comments:

Post a Comment